Biodiesel Basics: Safety Information

Springboard Biodiesel, LLC. actively encourages our customers to exercise rigorous safety practices whenever they are interacting with potentially dangerous chemicals. While we strongly believe that biodiesel production in a BioPro™ biodiesel processor is inherently safe, we are constantly working to enhance the ease and safety of the BioPro™ biodiesel processor. Below we highlight some important safety information regarding the chemicals used in making biodiesel.

 

Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide

Extremely corrosive. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Can cause severe burns or blindness upon contact with skin or eyes. Always protect face, eyes, and other portions of body. Always wear safety glasses when using this product.
 

First Aid: Immediately call Poison Center, Physician or Emergency Room
Eyes: Rinse immediately with water. Remove contact lenses; then flush eyes with water for at least 20 minutes.
If Swallowed:Rapidly rinse mouth. Then drink a glassful of milk or water. Do Not Induce Vomiting.
If On Skin: Remove affected clothing. Flush with water for 15 minutes.

 

Sulfuric Acid

Extremely corrosive. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Can cause severe burns or blindness upon contact with skin or eyes. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, mucous membrane, or clothing. Always protect face, eyes, and other portions of body. Always wear safety glasses when using this product. Never add water to acid. However, when container is completely empty, rinse with water before discarding to prevent accidental burns.

First Aid: Immediately call Poison Center, Physician or Emergency Room.
External: Flush with water for 15 minutes.
Internal: Drink large quantities of water. Follow with milk of magnesia, beaten eggs or vegetable oil.
Eyes: Flush with water for 15 minutes and get prompt medical attention.

 

Methanol

Very flammable liquid and vapor. In case of fire, use water fog dry chemical carbon dioxide or alcohol foam. Water may be ineffective. May be harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Prolonged or repeated contact may dry the skin and cause irritation and burns. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. May cause blindness. May affect the central nervous system causing dizziness, headache, nausea, or visual impairment.

IN CASE OF CONTACT: flush eyes or skin with water. Call a physician if irritation develops and persists.
IF INHALED: remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration.
IF SWALLOWED: Do not induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to unconscious person. Call a physician.

 

Glycerin produced in the BioPro™ 190

While glycerin itself is quite harmless, this tainted glycerin should be treated with the same precautions as methanol.

 

OIL & Biodeisel

Oil and Biodiesel are combustible. Oil soaked rags may spontaneously combust. Use appropriate care in storage and handling. Always comply with any applicable regulations and legal requirements.

Manufacturer is not responsible for any harm to persons or property caused by these products. Always comply with local laws regarding the proper transportation and storage of all chemicals involved.